Magnetic Particle Inspection:
This type of non-destructive testing method is used to detect surface and slightly subsurface flaws in ferromagnetic materials. Magnetic Particle Inspection (MPI) is routinely used to inspect welds, piping, pressure vessels and structural steel components.
1. New fabrication welds for code compliance to:
2. ASME Section V for pressure vessels
3. ASME B31.1 and B31.3 for piping
4. API 1104 for pipelines
5. Castings and forgings, valves and their components, machined parts, pressure vessels, cranes and structural steel welds for cracks, non-fusion, cold laps.
6. In-service welds
1. Flaws are highly visible
2. The Equipment is:
- Portable and can be battery powered
- Light enough to take easily onto scaffolding
- Non-hazardous to operations or other nearby personnel
- Has no effect on equipment or materials in the vicinity
- Very good sensitivity to fatigue cracking
1. Surface must be accessible and must be clean and free from oil, grease, scale, etc.
2. Cannot detect deep subsurface flaws
3. Instrumentation and aircraft components require demagnetization after being inspected; residual magnetization may cause them to malfunction.
Below are some pictures of inspection jobs conducted by Qualtech NDE: