Our clients often require metallurgical evaluations on samples which may not be modified for various reasons. In these cases, we perform replication metallography, which is the non-destructive (NDT) practice of duplicating the micro-structure of a component in order to observe grain structure at high magnification.
1. Used in analyzing crack initiation in micro-structure.
2. Intergranular Corrosion (IGC) are detected using this.
3. Stress Corrosion Cracking (SCC) is detected using this method, usually in High energy piping inspection.
1. Lower cost as specimens to be sectioned and mounted is not required using this method.
2. On-site evaluation using handheld microscope
3. Large or irregularly-shaped specimens may be replicated with relative ease.
1. Highly skilled and experienced metallurgists are required for interpretation of replica
2. Replication can not be implemented on high temperature surfaces.