This type of inspection method is capable of detecting both surface and sub-surface flaws in components and welds. Ultrasonic Testing (UT) can also be used for thickness measurement of different materials.
1. To determine the condition of internal and/or external corrosion or erosion in process piping and pressure vessels.
2. For new fabrication weld inspection to verify code compliance:
3. ASME Section V for pressure vessels
4. ASME B31.1 and B31.3 for piping
5. API 1104 for pipelines
1. It can be used to identify, locate and characterize defects that other NDE methods cannot:
2. Capability of determining the size, orientation and nature of internal flaws
3. High penetrating power for detection of defects deep in the material
4. High sensitivity aids in identifying the location of extremely small flaws
5. Only one surface needs to be available
6. Easy to handle in field
7. Systems are portable and battery powered
8. Light enough to easily take onto scaffolding
9. Non-hazardous to operations or other nearby personnel, and has no effect on material being inspected.
1. Parts that are rough, irregular in shape, or very small or thin are difficult to inspect
2. Surfaces must be cleared of any scale, loose paint etc. before inspection
3. Manual Ultrasonic inspection requires experience and careful attention.
Below are some pictures of inspection jobs conducted by Qualtech NDE: